Our Charitable Trusts
The main source of income to our Charitable Trusts comes from Members’ contributions. These contributions, unless specified otherwise, are split in an agreed percentage between our First and Second Trusts.
Our First Trust's principal objectives are the relief of poverty of members and the advancement of insurance or financial services education. Key projects include support of the Brokerage City Link – an independent charity providing young people in London with a 'Pathway' of opportunities into employment and careers in the City, working in partnership with employers, schools and volunteers. The Trustees have also made substantial donations to the Chartered Insurance Institute over many years in areas such as Knowledge Services and the Library.
Other examples of assistance include:
- Prizes for success in Chartered Insurance Institute exams.
- Support for the Insurance Intellectual Capital Initiative including a commitment to part fund a series of Master classes designed to inform UK insurance and reinsurance companies, and their brokers, about ways to approach changes in the global industry.
- Individual financial assistance for students such as that provided from 2008-2011 to a PhD postgraduate student, Richard Hewston, at the University of East Anglia who researched windstorm damage. Full details of the PhD work undertaken, including a full electronic version of his thesis, are available at http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e470848/welcome.htm
- Support of the Mansion House Scholarship Scheme, details of which can be found on www.mansionhousescholars.org.uk
Our Second Trust has a smaller fund than the First Trust but a wider remit. Modest grants are made to a variety of charities, particularly those connected with the City of London or those supported by Liverymen.
It is our policy to support the Lord Mayor’s chosen charity in any particular year and the Master's Chosen Charity. Donations are also made on an annual basis to the:
- City of London Police Widows' and Orphans' appeal.
- The Sheriffs' and Recorder's Fund.
- The Church of St Lawrence Jewry.
- In addition, the trust aids other organisations such as Whizz-Kidz, St Paul’s Cathedral Foundation, the City of London Festival, and the City Mission, as well as the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
Further information on either trust is available from the Hon. Secretary to the Charitable Trusts E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Company members' login
Please enter you username and password below to access the members area.